Photo heavy warning!
Start by gathering your jeans, chalk or marking tool. (crayola washable markers work really well to if you don't have anything else), a ruler and measuring tape. Also needed are your sewing machine, thread that matches or coordinates with your jeans, an Iron ( I am using Dritz Petite Press Portable Mini Iron
Mark that point then grab your measuring tape. Measure from that point to the hem. Measure up from hem on the outer seam of the pants to that point. Mine was 25.5"
Make a mark and draw a line across with your chalk.
Lay them back out flat and mark 1" from the line you drew. Draw another line. This is you Seam Allowance that will be folded into your hem.
Cut along the second line you drew.
Now grab your Iron. fold the raw edge into the inside of your shorts. Making sure to have the folded edge where your line is. Press along the line. (If you dont have an iron you could use pins to hold your folds in place)
Then fold the raw edge down to meet the fold. This gives you a perfect 1/2" hem. you could pin this if you wanted but with the pressing you don't need to.
Now its time to sew! Make sure that your using a 90/12 or Jeans needle in you machine. Using the right needle for what your sewing is crucial to making a project go smoothly. Also make sure you have thread that matches or coordinates with your shorts. I am using Mettler® Metrosene® Thread
I line up my inner fold with the inner edge on my sewing foot. I make sure to keep it lined up there to give me a straight line (errr Kinda straight, I had a 2year old sewing with me so its off slightly but they're for me so I don't mind.) Repeat for the other leg. Make sure to clip thread tails and backstitch and the beginning and ends.
Ta-Da! They are done. now just wash or brush off chalk marks and you're good to go! Now go rock those bad boys.
(Dritz Petite Press Iron was sent to me for review. Use recommendations and opinions are all my own ) (Links are affiliate links to Amazon)


1 comment:
good post! haha this is where my little boy's shorts come from!!
Post a Comment