Thursday, December 30, 2010

Infant Pom-Pom Hat Tutorial

This blog is featured in the Thirsty for Comments Thursday Blog Hop by Acting Balance. To find out more or to join the hop please click here.

After seeing several really adorable newborn pictures with little girls in pom-pom hats. I decide that Venom need one too. Since I can crochet better that I can knit, I decide to search for a pattern. The search came back empty handed. I did find one that was basically a beanie with pom-pom's. Its a quick and cute hat, but not quite what I wanted. I wanted the square/ rectangle with the poms in the corners. So I set out to just make my own. I even wrote the pattern down so I can make more than one and so I can share with all of you lovelies. So without further ado the tutorial. Author note: This is a semi photo tutorial. If on a slower connection it may take awhile to load. 

Infant Pom-Pom Hat
Will fit  0-3 months. (Larger size to come)
Yarn: Stitch n Bitch bamboo Ewe (Sprout) and SnB Full O' Sheep (Peony)
Hook: I/9 5.5mm


Abbreviations: Y/O- Yarn Over
HDC- Half Double Crochet
Ch- Chain


Directions:


Chain 40.
Join into round.
Row 1 *Chain 2, HDC in next Ch and every Ch there after. Join
Repeat for all 15 rows.
ETA: Make sure to pay attention to your stitches and don't be like me and start skipping stitches.... I was losing a stitch a row. I had to rip out 4 rows to fix the problem...

Closing the top: 
After finishing last HDC on row 15. Flatten hat and match stitches. Insert hook through both loops on both sides. Y/O, Pull through both loops. Y/O and pull through both loops on hook. Repeat in every stitch across. Then tie off and weave in tails.


Pom-Poms:
-Cut 2 10inch long pieces of yarn and set aside. these will be used to tie off the centers and attach them to the hat.
-Next, loosely wrap hand or piece of cardboard thats about 3 inches in width. Wrap it about 40 or more times. The more you wrap it the fuller your pom-pom will be. you could also use more than on color of yarn. -Once you have it to your desired fullness, Carefully slide the wraps off your hand/cardboard. take one of the pieces you cut and sat aside, wrap around the middle twice and tightly tie a knot.
-Cut loops. then weave through corner points on hat pull to inside and knot several times to make sure they can't be pulled off by little hands.

  HelloKendra13.blogspot.com

6 comments:

Kristin said...

I am super impressed! That hat is so freakin' cute! Of course, I can't sew a button, but wow.

New follower!
Kristin :)
Keenly Kristin

Laura J Harrison said...

Hi Kendra. I'm not crafty at all, sorry to say. That is a darling hat though! Is Venom your unborn baby's name?
Say...Are you involved with the Handmade With Love winter Giveaway? It's theme is all hand made. Bloggers will feature sponsors that make products and there will be a hop type giveaway. I will leave you the link and if you want me to sponsor you, I sure will!
New follower. Nice blog, by the way.
Laurie
http://grandma-sez-so.blogspot.com/2010/12/crafters-put-your-store-in-spotlight.html

Laura J Harrison said...

Hi.
I just received the Stylish Blog award and am choosing 15 blogs to offer it to. I choose you!
You may or may not accept it. That's up to you!
You can pick up the details here:
http://grandma-sez-so.blogspot.com/2010/12/hey-my-first-award-stylish-and-7-things.html

Happy New Year!
Laurie
(Grandma Sez So)

Nick Raymon said...

Wow Its so cute....!
Very lovely.. Thanks for sharing..
Childcare Mississauga

Unknown said...

Lovely! Now I just need to figure out how to crochet. Maybe this pattern was just the incentive I need.

Anonymous said...

Just finished making this hat for my infant daughter! It took no time at all and the pattern was very easy to follow. Thanks for posting!

Facbook Like button

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...